javell morgan

javell morgan (Image: GMP)

A rival on the street brutally murdered a 21-year-old man when the killer was seen “laughing” before stabbing the man with a “samurai sword”. Javell Morgan, 21, was killed last summer in Moss Side when two rival West Yorkshire teams clashed in a deadly dispute.

A gun was fired as the two rival groups from Huddersfield clashed.

Javell died after being stabbed in the back with a “samurai sword” by 21-year-old Jacob Doughty, it reported. Manchester evening news.

According to a witness, Doughty was reportedly “laughing” when he killed Javell and was later seen hugging and shaking hands.

He was found guilty of murder after a trial at Manchester Crown Court.

Deontay Crosfield, 22, who got “entangled” with Javell in a fight before he was killed, was also convicted of murder.


Forensics investigating after Moss Side shooting (Image: Manchester Evening News)

Three other youths, Byron Goodhall, 23, Simeon Baptiste, 24, and Darius Blackburn, 21, were also tried and found not guilty of murder and manslaughter.

Three other men then went on trial accused of attempting to murder Mr. Baptiste in the same incident.

Following a separate trial, Mikyle Bucknor, 19, and Karmarni Batler, 20, both armed with pistols, were found guilty of attempted murder. Harlan Richards, 19, was found not guilty of attempted murder.

The troubling details of the case were first reported when reporting restrictions were lifted at the conclusion of the second of two crown court trials.

The seven-week murder trial began in February and concluded on April 14. Some jurors wept as the unanimous verdicts were announced in court.

Trial Judge Suzanne Goddard KC excused them from jury duty again if summoned.

In the murder trial, prosecutor John Elvidge KC recounted how the murder unfolded at a street party held on Claremont Road in Moss Side, after the main carnival ended on August 15 last year.

The killers had traveled across the Pennines for the carnival. He told the jury: “On Sunday 14th August a mass of revelers gathered outside the Claremont pub and J’s Takeaway shop. A DJ booth was set up and the street was packed with people of all ages enjoying themselves, listening and They were dancing to music, eating and drinking and soaking up the atmosphere.

“Amongst that crowd were two groups of young men. Each group had traveled from Huddersfield. These defendants were part of one group. Javell Morgan, aged 20, was part of the other group. Both chose to attend, armed with lethal weapons, namely guns and knives.

“These were the lethal weapons they carried to use. It was shortly after midnight on August 15 that these opposing teams clashed on Claremont Road. The Crown says this was gang violence. It was all over in minutes.

“It was about one side attacking the other, armed with guns and the other side fighting back with knives. The prosecution says that as a pack they chased their adversaries down Claremont Road.

“Javell Morgan was the only member of his team captured. His death was an immediate act of retribution.”

Incident on Moss's side

A huge cordon was in place on Moss Side (Image: Manchester Evening News)

The court heard that the two groups were at the after party on Claremont Road at 10:30 pm on August 14, and around midnight were outside J’s Takeaway. Elvidge said: “A passerby overheard one of the opposing team tell another ‘there’s ops right there, I see ops right there’.”

In the minutes that followed, the two rival groups clashed and Javell, from Leeds, whose family lives between Halifax and Huddersfield, was killed.

Bucknor pointed a loaded pistol at Mr. Baptiste. As he advanced, Mr. Blackburn struck him in the arm and the gun went off to the ground.

Elvidge said, “The tables turned in an instant.”

The group was pursued by Doughty and Crosfield, until Doughty cornered Javell and attacked him with the sword, which one witness described as a ‘samurai sword’.

He was able to run a short distance before collapsing near some police officers.

The prosecutor said: “Javell Morgan was left with a fatal back injury, multiple stab wounds to the left and right thigh.”

After the attack, Doughty was seen throwing the sword into a back yard behind the pub. He then walked back to the road, exchanged hugs with one person and shook hands with another, Elvidge said.

Police recovered the gun the next day. Doughty was later arrested in Huddersfield. Crosfield tried to run from the officers when they came to arrest him.

Doughty told the jury that he was acting in self-defense when he stabbed Javell.

mossy side

The scene in Moss Side (Image: Manchester Evening News)

He said: “I just swung the knife. The blade was sticking out. I think it hit him in the upper body.”

“I don’t think it had any effect. I don’t know if he was hurt. I was in the moment, it was a very crazy situation at the time. I thought he was trying to attack me.”

However, his claim was rejected by a jury.

Doughty, of Ponyfield Close, Huddersfield, and Crosfield, of Rawthorpe Crescent, Huddersfield, will be sentenced later this month. Both face life sentences.

Mr. Baptiste, of Wellfield Bank, Huddersfield; Mr. Goodhall, of Dalmeny Avenue, Huddersfield; and Mr. Blackburn, of Towngate, Huddersfield; they were discharged from the bench after being acquitted.

Following the second trial, which began on April 20 and concluded on Tuesday, Bucknor, of Farrar Drive, Huddersfield, Batler, of Belle Vue Crescent, Huddersfield and Richards, of Trafalgar Close, Huddersfield, were convicted of three offenses of possession of a firearm. with intent to endanger life, and both Bucknor and Batler were convicted of attempted murder. Richards was found not guilty of attempted murder.

They will be sentenced on July 31 after Magistrate Judge Patrick Field KC ordered the probation service to prepare pre-sentence reports.

The defendants were remanded in custody until a mention hearing next week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *