Terror suspect Daniel Khalife has been charged with escaping custody at HMP Wandsworth, the Metropolitan Police has said.

The 21-year-old escaped the London prison on the morning of September 6, sparking a nationwide manhunt that lasted 75 hours.

The search for the ex-soldier came to a close when a police officer in plain clothes pulled Mr Khalife off his bike on Saturday, September 9, at 10.41am.

Mr Khalife was spotted on a canal towpath in the Northolt area, west London, only a few miles away from HMP Wandsworth.

The officer who successfully ended the manhunt was reportedly heard shouting to Mr Khalife: “Don’t move or we’ll shoot.” 

Upon being stopped, the terror suspect was reportedly heard yelling: “It’s not me! I ain’t done anything!” He was then wrestled to the ground, reports the Sun.

A 20-year-old student, Ethan Andrews, who witnessed the chaotic scene found the fugitive “arrogant”.

After being arrested and held with his hands tied behind his back, Mr Khalife “started laughing” as he noticed the student. 

Mr Andrews told The Sun on Sunday: “The guy looked up at me, winked and started laughing. I thought, how arrogant is that? I can’t believe he was just sitting there, looked at me and just winked.”  

Mr Khalife had escaped from HMP Wandsworth on Wednesday last week, having strapped himself under a food delivery van.

An investigation has been launched by the Ministry of Justice into how the 21-year-old was able to escape the London Category B jail. 

Prior to his escape, Mr Khalife was awaiting trial while being accused of trying to spy for an enemy state, understood to be Iran, obtaining information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism, and plotting a bomb hoax.

Mr Khalife will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 11. 

It is not known whether he will return to Wandsworth or he will be housed in a higher-security location. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *