An eight-year-old child has been heralded as a hero for some quick-thinking under pressure which saved his mum’s life.
Ryan Reid dialled 999 and asked for an ambulance after mum-of-two Alicia, 27, suffered an allergic reaction which rendered her unable to speak or breathe.
Paramedics rushed to the scene as Alicia had a deadly case of anaphylaxis.
The Kidderminster mum had been prescribed a new antibiotic by her GP who had mistakenly believed her stomach pains were caused by a UTI.
The allergic response came after she’d taken the prescribed drugs, as she fell unconscious and her skin turned red.
Seeing his mother falling into this sorry state, he quickly reacted and calmly called 999.
He even gave the medical professionals the correct address and postcode, meaning they were able to arrive promptly and save his mum.
Mrs Reid explained the ordeal, according to MailOnline: “It was just after lunch, I went to the pharmacy to get these antibiotics, the kids wanted to watch a film. I put the film on and took the antibiotics.
“Five minutes after I needed the inhaler, 10 minutes after I was really struggling. I was wheezing, I usually control it with my inhaler. I had my pink steroid inhaler as the blue wasn’t working.
“It just kept getting worse. I had an itchy throat. Ryan kept asking if I was ok. I didn’t want him to think I wasn’t ok.”
She added: “I was going into a panic, I just kept taking it. Ryan asked again and I just shook my head as I couldn’t talk. I just couldn’t get any words out, it was like a wheeze.
“If I was on my own, I would have no idea. The boys were on holiday the week before, I am so grateful they were there.”
The proud mum said her son didn’t need any help in getting the right people to assist her.
She said: “My husband didn’t need to be on the phone, Ryan was that good. He knew how old I was.
“Usually he’s a very anxious little boy, quiet and shy. I don’t know how he did it as I know I would’ve panicked.”
She added: “He let the ambulance crew where my inhalers were, my name, he just basically let them know everything.
“I tried to point to the antibiotic, he picked them up and said that I had one of those.
“He saved my life. I know while he was on the phone, I was sat on the phone trying to get as much breath as I possibly could. I could feel it getting harder. I felt my knees going on the floor. If the paramedics didn’t come when they did I would’ve passed out.
“I was scarlet red when I came in. My whole body was red. Him seeing me like that didn’t scare him. I felt like my lips had really swollen.
“I’m extremely proud, he’s quite mature. I’ve taught him from the age of four or five in case I have an asthma attack to phone 999 if you need to.”