- Yes23 leaders have said Uluru Statement still alive
- Indigenous Voice to Parliament failed in October referendum
- READ MORE: Anthony Albanese’s China visit
Indigenous leaders have reaffirmed their commitment to push the Albanese Labor government for a treaty despite the failed Voice to Parliament referendum.
‘The Uluru Statement stands, absolutely,’ co-chair of the Yes23 campaign Rachel Perkins told supporters on Monday in an online town hall meeting.
The Uluru Statement from the Heart has three pillars at its core – voice, treaty and truth – designed to achieve Makarrata, or coming together in peace, after a dispute.
‘That aspiration of a voice will remain. It may not be achieved by referendum but it will be achieved,’ Ms Perkins added.
Many First Nations groups declared a week of silence following the October 14 referendum in which adding an Indigenous Voice to the Constitution was voted down by a 60 per cent majority of Australians.
Key figures from the Yes campaign have since slowly been making statements about what the next steps toward reconciliation might look like.
Yes23 co-chair Rachel Perkins (pictured) said this week the Uluru Statement and its objectives of voice, treaty and truth still very much stand
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has not revealed his government’s new reconciliation policy direction following the October 14 referendum defeat
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has said he will widely consult with Indigenous leaders before setting a new agenda for his government on the issue.
The PM said before the referendum vote that he would listen to Australians and not push to legislate an Indigenous Voice should the referendum fail.
Professor Megan Davis and Pat Anderson, two of the architects of the Uluru Statement from the Heart formed from a meeting of hundreds of Indigenous leaders in Alice Springs in 2017, said the ‘Uluru Dialogue is going nowhere’.
Prominent Yes campaigner Thomas Mayo said he believed the referendum had ‘shifted Australia in the right direction’ despite the No result.
‘It continues that we do need a voice. It’s for sure we got this proposal right, that a people who have decisions made specifically about them should have a structure, a representative body to speak to those decisions,’ he told ABC radio.
An Indigenous Voice to Parliament was voted down by 60 per cent of Australians (pictured: Yes supporters on referendum night)
Australian states have already done their own work implementing the Uluru Statement’s three pillars.
A First People’s Assembly is already in place in Victoria.
In NSW, $5million was spent on a consultation process for a similar policy, though Premier Chris Minns said recently any action would be shelved until after the next state election.
In Queensland a legislated Path to Treaty was underway but has hit a wall with the LNP withdrawing their support last month and Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk saying she would only move forward with bipartisan commitment.
It may not be until early next year that any kind of new direction is decided by the federal government with sources from the Yes campaign telling the Guardian they were concerned any proposals so close to the referendum result would be dismissed.
Minister for Indigenous Australians Linda Burney said she ‘would not be rushed’ in deciding new policy and indicated more information would follow in ‘the first few weeks of next year’.