Police leading a major murder investigation say they have discovered more human remains.
Officers originally launched the murder probe on Saturday, August 26, after “partial human remains” were found in the area of the Manor Steps Zig Zag, off Boscombe Overcliff Drive, Dorset. Following scientific analysis, officers concluded the deceased was 49-year-old Simon Shotton from Bournemouth.
Two people – 38-year-old Debbie Ann Pereira and 48-year-old Benjamin Lee Atkins, both of Bournemouth – were charged with murder and have appeared in court. They will next appear before Bournemouth Crown Court next month.
But detectives from Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT) said further remains had been discovered at 10.45am on Wednesday, September 6. Boscombe Chine Garden is said to be near to the town’s pier.
A police cordon remained in place at the gardens last night.
Detective Inspector Neil Third, of MCIT, said: “While we have yet to formally identify the latest remains discovered, at this time we do believe this is linked to our ongoing investigation and the family of Simon Shotton has been updated. Our thoughts remain with them at this very difficult time.
“It is important that as part of our ongoing investigation, we speak to anyone who witnessed any suspicious activity in the area of Boscombe Chine Gardens between Friday 18 August and Friday 1 September 2023. I am particularly keen to speak to anyone who has seen somebody in possession of a black suitcase acting suspiciously in the vicinity.”
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Dorset Police online or by calling 101 quoting incident 55230135228. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.